Poetry Out Loud is a fabulous opportunity for high school students! Begun in high schools nationwide in 2006, the program encourages our nation's youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance. Poetry Out Loud helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence and learn about their literary heritage.
Poetry Out Loud is organized by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation; it is administered at the state level by the Maine Arts Commission. Schools can now register quickly and easily online by visiting www.MaineArts.com. Please note that Poetry Out Loud can take place in your school anytime between now and January 17, 2014, as the program does not require full class periods and can be completed in just two to three weeks.
As part of the Maine Poetry Out Loud program the students and teachers are invited to attend an after-school poetry workshop that provides a guidance and mentoring opportunity with Maine poets. Teachers who attend receive contact hours.
Please review the following timeline as you consider registering your school:
- September – November 2013 School Registration (ongoing)
- November 22, 2013 Last day to register for Poetry Out Loud
- January 17, 2014 Last day for school-wide competitions
- January 28, 2014 Southern Regional Workshop
- January 30, 2014 Northern Regional Workshop
- February 6, 2014 Southern Regional Regional Finals
- February 12, 2014 Northern Regional Finals
- February 26, 2014 Maine State Finals
- April 28-30, 2014 Poetry Out Loud National Finals
Please visit www.MaineArts.com to find more information about the benefits of Poetry Out Loud and all of the Maine Arts Commission’s educational programming.
If you have questions or would like assistance to register please contact Argy Nestor, Director of Arts Education, Maine Arts Commission, at Argy.Nestor@maine.gov