Thursday, November 17, 2011
Susan Brackett, Chair of Friends of Friends of the Opera House, will be one of the individuals honored at the 2011 Leadership and Luminaries Awards.
Sponsored by The Bank of Maine, the statewide honor for excellence in board governance will recognize people who have demonstrated examples of inspiration, creativity, and ingenuity. The awards will be presented at the first annual Focus on Philanthropy: The Art of Leadership event, December 1 at The Harraseeket Inn in Freeport.
Four of the five finalists will each receive $2,500 in grant money for their organizations. One grand prize winner (to be revealed at the event) will receive $10,000 for their organization. In addition to the five finalists, two individuals will receive posthumous awards for their past dedication and commitment in board service. The 2011 Leadership and Luminaries finalists are:
* Dr. Vernon L. Moore, Counseling Services Inc.
* Mr. Norm Rodrigue, Kennebec Land Trust
* Dr. Barbara Covey, M.D., Kennebec Valley Dental Coalition
* Mr. Thomas B. Wright, Seeds of Independence
* Ms. Susan Brackett, The Opera House of Boothbay Harbor
* Mr. Peter Burbank, (in Memoriam), Maranacook Education Foundation
* Mr. Horace H. Walton, (in Memoriam), York Hospital
The awards celebration will also include a panel discussion moderated by former governor Angus King. The panel will address the key ingredients to effective nonprofit board governance and will include:
* Keynote Speaker, Lisa Walker, Managing Director of Newman's Own Foundation
* Lowell Weicker, former US Senator and Governor of Connecticut
* Melanie Lockwood Herman, Executive Director, the Nonprofit Risk Management Center
* Prescott Stewart, Managing Director of Development at Harvard Business School
* Robert H. Gardiner, President, Independence Wind LLC
For more information and to register for the event, please visit www.thebankofmaine.com Proceeds will benefit the Maine Association of Non Profits (MANP). Scholarships are available.