The Maine Arts Commission is seeking previously unpublished and insightful critical essays for inclusion in the annual edition of the Maine Arts Magazine to be printed in August of 2011. The deadline for submissions is 4:00 pm E.S.T, June 27, 2011. An award of $500 will be made to the author whose work is chosen for inclusion in the magazine.
The magazine contains highlights of major arts events and initiatives taking place in Maine, as well as updates from successful grant applicants, agency news and guidance for professional development. Submissions are sought to help provide broader in-depth content and to further the agency’s goal of supporting critical writing that pertains to the arts.
Writers, who are full time Maine residents, are encouraged to submit work providing critical insight into themes of art and culture in Maine. Potential subjects could be, but not limited to, pieces that investigate new ways of working in the arts in Maine; or provide insight into Maine’s emerging artists; or offer an exploration of sense of place as related to Maine’s history of art.
To be considered for inclusion in the magazine applicants must:
• have a valid Maine address and have resided full-time in Maine for a minimum of two years at the date of application, and
• be 18 years of age or older at the time of the application, and
• not be enrolled as a full-time student in a field related to the application, and
• have completed and filed all final reports required for previous Maine Arts Commission grants.
All submissions must be sent via e-mail and should include the following information:
1. A 400 - 700 word previously unpublished essay in 12-point, black font and double-spaced.
2. An updated resume including full contact details
3. A Vendor Form (Click here to download)For first time applicants only. This is information used by the treasury to generate a check for the chosen author. Applicants should be sure to indicate the address the check should be sent to. Click here for instructions on completing your vendor form.
Work must be submitted via e-mail by 4:00 pm E.S.T, on June 27, 2011 for consideration. E-mail your submissions to Darrell Bulmer at the Maine Arts Commission, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the words “Magazine Essay” as the subject line of your e-mail. Please attach all documents to the e-mail. Please send document files in PDF, .DOC or RTF formats only.
The successful work will be printed in the Maine Arts Magazine and housed online in a digital format. First North American Serial Rights, rights revert to author upon publication.